Educational Scholarship Program
Objective and Intent of the Scholarship Program
The Virginia National Guard Association sponsors a scholarship program to provide financial assistance to officers, warrant officers and their dependent children and spouses. Scholarships are awarded on a yearly basis, and individuals are encouraged to apply annually. Applications must be submitted by 30 September each year. The association currently offers a special scholarship in memory of CW4 William C. Singletary, who in rescuing two elderly women from drowning, gave his own life. The amount and number of scholarships awarded each year will be determined by the Scholarship Committee subject to the resources available and with approval of the association’s Executive Council.
Applicants must have been enrolled in a college or university for one year (completed one year of study) and qualify under one of the following conditions:
1. Be an officer or warrant officer in the Virginia National Guard who is a current (dues-paid) member of the VNG Association or…
2. Be a dependent son, daughter or spouse of an officer or warrant officer in the Virginia National Guard who is a current (dues-paid) member of the VNG Association or…
3. Be a dependent son, daughter or spouse of a retired Virginia National guard officer or warrant officer who is a current (dues-paid) member of the VNG Association or…
4. Be a dependent son, daughter or spouse of a deceased retired Virginia National Guard officer or warrant officer, or…
5. Be a dependent son, daughter or spouse of a Virginia National Guard officer or warrant officer who died while in the Virginia National Guard.
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application must include:
Applications must be forwarded to the Scholarship Committee not later than 30 September each year. Failure to provide all required documents will result in nonconsideration by the committee. The Committee's mailing address is: VNGA Scholarship Committee, 11518 Hardwood Drive, Midlothian, VA 23114.
Any questions should be directed to Lt Col Tony Schlagel at 804-350-0175.
Download Scholarship Application
The application can be downloaded two ways:
1. Click on the desired format below to view the file. Then select File, Save As from your browser menu above. Or you can,
2. Hover over the desired hyperlink below and right-click. This will bring up a menu from which you select Save Target/Link As...
3. If you receive a password prompt, please press Cancel to continue the download.
Programs for the Military Community
Military Scholarship- 25% tuition scholarship
- Available to service members (active duty, reserve, National Guard; must be actively serving); civilian employees (DoD, military services, Dept of Military Affairs - state); and uniform and civilian military family members
- All programs and locations covered
- May be used with other benefits
- Must complete application form For more information, send e-mail to Fred L. Bolton at Averett College.